Data Delivery Details
This standard package for monthly forecast data (World-Wide HYPE) includes:
|Geographical domain||Choice of one region (see World-Wide HYPE model)|
|Variable||River discharge (m3/s)|
|Temporal and spatial resolution||Monthly mean per catchment|
|Thresholds per catchment||River discharge at (m3/s) for 10th, 33rd, 66th, 90th percentiles.1|
|Data Period||1-7-month ahead|
|Forcing meteo data||HydroGFD 2.02 + 51 ensemble members from ECMWF SEAS5 (forecasts) 3|
|Forecast skill||Continuous Ranked Probability Skill Score (Score)4 per catchment|
|Data delivery frequency||Monthly delivery5|
|Data delivery period||One year, automatic renewal if not canceled ahead|
|Data format||NetCDF for time series, thresholds and skill. Shape file for catchment borders|
- We provide thresholds (based on percentiles) of river flow in each catchment based on historical data. This allows to categorize the forecasted river flow into different conditions: above normal (>66th percentile), near normal (between 33rd and 66th percentile), below normal (<33th percentile), extreme low (<10th percentile) and extreme high (>90th percentile).
- Berg, P., Donnelly, C., and Gustafsson, D. (2018). Near-real-time adjusted reanalysis forcing data for hydrology, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 22, 989–1000, https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-22-989-2018. Temperature and precipitation from the HydroGFD dataset can be ordered as customized data package – contact us!
- For time periods more than ten days ahead, the meteorological models are less reliable. Monthly forecasts are therefore based on an ensemble of climate model results. Currently, we use 51 bias-adjusted ensemble members of meteorological forecasts from ECMWF.
- Forecast skill in each catchment is given as model result vs perfect model for period 1993-2015.
- Historical forecasts can be delivered as customized data package – contact us!
Order this standard package
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This order form is a non binding offer and it does not create legal obligations for the parties. After submitting the form we will contact you to discuss the procedure and the details of your order.
Global Regions From The World-Wide HYPE Model
Monthly river forecast from the HYPE model is described and evaluated only for Europe (E-HYPE) by:
Pechlivanidis, I. G., Crochemore, L., Rosberg, J., & Bosshard, T. (2020). What are the key drivers controlling the quality of seasonal streamflow forecasts?Water Resources Research, 56, e2019WR026987. https://doi.org/10.1029/2019WR026987
The standard package includes time series for some 10 000 – 30 000 catchments in each region. Click on the maps below to enlarge them.